In this week’s recipe, I have transformed the usual savoury Mexican taco into a sweet, glorious delicacy with apples, cinnamon and a sweet caramel sauce! They are super-easy to make, with an apple pie filling nestled into the crispy, sweet tortilla. You can make the shells ahead of time, and just reheat the apple pie mix before you serve. You can top the tacos with ice cream and cream to add a creamy contrast to the flavour and texture. Sweeten up your ‘Taco Tuesday’ with this simple treat below— you won’t be able to resist these little parcels of goodness!
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
SERVES: 20 TACOS
5 large tortillas
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup of sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
4 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
SIMPLE STAR ANISE CARAMEL SAUCE
100g brown sugar
1 can of condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
1. Pre-heat oven to 200degC.
2. Using a 8-10cm round cookie cutter, cut 4-5 circles from each tortilla. Repeat until you have about 20 in total.
3. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons melted butter with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
4. Place one tortilla circle into the bowl and toss until coated. Repeat for the remaining circles.
5. Take a muffin tin and turn it upside down. Insert one tortilla piece in between every two muffin cups, until all tacos are in place.
6. Bake for 5-6 mins, until golden. Repeat with all tortillas.
7. Meanwhile, mix the chopped apples with lemon juice and the remaining sugar and cinnamon.
8. Place a large fry pan on medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add the apple mixture and cook for 3-4 mins, until soft.
9. Next, make the caramel sauce. Simply melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium pan till the sugar has dissolved. Pour in the condensed milk and the star anise and slowly bring to a simmer, being careful not to burn the bottom of the pot!
10. Pour into a jug until ready to use.
11. Once you are ready to serve, spoon apple mixture into the crispy tortilla. Top with caramel sauce, and you can also add whipped cream and ice cream to serve.