As much as I love skiing, I’m in total denial that winter is just around the corner! This is reflected in this week’s salad recipe. Although somewhat autumnal/wintery, with the use of butternut, the freshness of the greens keep the memories of the past long hot summer alive. For those vegetarians, simply leave out the bacon. You will get enough flavour from the dressing and the butternut to ensure it is still moreish. You can double the recipe, and add some quinoa to serve this as a full meal, or simply use it as a side for a scrumptious dinner. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 12 MINS
COOK TIME: 25 MINS
SERVES 4 PEOPLE
1kg butternut (approx)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
6 slices streaky bacon
2 spring onions, sliced
1 red chilli, halved and sliced
70g walnuts, toasted for 4-5 minutes
Small handful of coriander, chopped
1/4cup natural yoghurt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210degC
2. Peel the butternut and cut it in half long-ways. Scoop out the seeds then slice into 1cm-thick slices.
3. Place on to a greased oven tray (pop down some baking paper if you are worried it will stick to the tray). Sprinkle with half the cumin and a little sea salt, then drizzle with a little olive oil. Flip the butternut and repeat.
4. Put into the oven and cook for 15 minutes before turning and cook for a further 10 minutes until the butternut is soft in the middle but golden on the outside.
5. Meanwhile, start on the dressing. Combine all ingredients from the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
6. Next thinly slice your bacon. Pop a medium-size fry pan on the element and heat to a medium-high heat. Fry the bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
7. Once the butternut is cooked, remove from the oven and place on some paper towels to cool a little.
8. Next combine the spinach, spring onions, chopped chilli, toasted walnut, coriander and cooled butternut in a large bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over, then gently combine.
9. Once it is mixed thoroughly, lift out gently with your hands and place on to a serving platter. Drizzle with the left-over dressing and serve immediately.