Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th January, Queenstown Recreation Ground
They’re two of the most action-packed days of Queenstown’s sports year.
For the sixth year running, the Recreation Ground this weekend hosts the National Rugby Sevens.
The tournament thrills thousands of spectators captivated by the speed merchants, the hand-to-hand combat and subtle plays.
The event’s also a chance for Sevens selectors to scout out the next big names to represent New Zealand on the world circuit.
Bring on the weather – and the action.
- Opens Saturday 10.30am with mass Maori challenge between 16 competing teams
- $5 entry per day
- Kids aged 15 and under free
- No cancellations
- Stamped spectators can come and go
- Expected crowd – 3000 Saturday, 4500 Sunday
- Local daredevil Chuck Berry will skydive before Sunday’s final, followed by Dash of the Virgins – non-scoring players lose most of their kit for a run across the field
- Entertainment on Sunday with MC Craig “Ferg” Ferguson
- Best-dressed competition – three $500 Air New Zealand travel vouchers up for grabs
- No BYO alcohol, no glass
- Security guards enforcing no alcohol/glass policy
- Food: hangi, sandwiches, rolls, chips, hotdogs
- Alcoholic beverages, water, soft drink, coffee for sale
- Eftpos available
- Family area
- Parking: Gorge Rd carpark free, $5 at Queenstown Primary – proceeds to school
- Gold coin entry to inspect six top rugby trophies – proceeds to Wakatipu Junior Rugby