Victim of indecency wants Wakatipu man unmasked

SHARE

A victim of an indecent act committed by a high-profile Waka­tipu man believes justice won’t be done till he is named and shamed. 

The 50-year-old Alexandra woman, speaking about the incident at her home on November 11 last year, says the man – who has interim name suppression – has ruined her life. 

The perpetrator was initially charged with indecent assault and elected a trial by judge. He later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of an indecent act with intent to insult or offend. 

Judge Michael Crosbie convicted him in Dunedin District Court on Monday and ordered that he pay $6500 to the victim. The man, in his sixties, had asked for a discharge without conviction and permanent name suppression – Judge Crosbie turned down both applications. 

However, the name suppression continues while the man fights his conviction in the Court of Appeal. 

“It seemed so sick to hear in court that there were affidavits of him having done ‘so much for the community’ and that he’s ‘such a remarkable person’,” the victim says.

“I’m the one who’s been upset by this whole thing. It’s almost like the court was trying to protect him – never mind the fact that he’s ruined my life.” 

The victim vividly remembers the day he came to her house, claiming he wanted to talk to her and her husband about a business venture he was involved in. 

The woman was at home alone with her teenage daughter when he showed up at their property at about 11am.
 
Having known the man for about two years, she greeted him with a hug and invited him inside for a cup of tea, telling him her husband wouldn’t be far away. 

As they walked towards the kitchen, he grabbed her from behind and drew her close. 

“I said, ‘What the hell are you doing?’ and he said ‘Oh, you’re so lovely’ and he started to push his tongue down my mouth,” she says. 

“He kept pawing at me and his hands were all around me. 

“I kept asking him to stop. I said, ‘You’re a married man, for God’s sake’. 

“He put his hand on my breast, I tried to push him off, then his other hand went down the back of my pants – inside my pants – then he got my hand and put it on his whatsit, on the front of him on the outside of his clothing. 

“He said ‘Oh God, can’t you see what you’re doing to me?’ I pulled my hand off and said ‘please don’t do this to me’. 

“He put my hand back on him again and said, ‘Can’t you feel how hard you’re making me?’
“I felt absolutely sick. I couldn’t believe it was happening. I felt so helpless.” 

The man stopped when the woman’s daughter entered the house, she says. 

“I’m glad she was home because if she wasn’t I reckon he would have tried to have done more,” she says.
The woman couldn’t smell alcohol on the man’s breath but says: “He stunk of body odour.” 

Her husband came home soon after and, too shocked to say anything, she made both men a cup of tea before getting in the car to do the groceries. Inside the car, she broke down in front of her daughter. 

Since the incident the woman has felt scared to be in her own home and says she’s no longer the bubbly person she once was. 

She’s pleased with the sentence but wants her attacker’s identity revealed. 

“The appeal has put things back a wee bit. But for me, it’s not over – I want his name out there.”