Streets of fear


Man bashed unconscious, couple assaulted.

Cops are hunting two offenders after late-night violence flared near Queenstown night clubs.

At 1.35am last Sunday, a beaten and bloodied 20-year-old Invercargill man was taken to Lakes District Hospital in Frankton after being kicked and punched unconscious by an unknown assailant outside the Buffalo Club in Brecon Street.

And at 4am the next morning, a male and a female reported they were assaulted outside Subculture in Church St.

The woman is said to have been thrown to the ground and the man headbutted by the same person.

“We are following up certain leads in connection with the Buffalo Club incident,” sergeant Steve Hindmarsh says.

“If anyone witnessed either of these assaults, it would be appreciated if they came forward.”

However, police collared three other alleged troublemakers in the wee small hours.

At 3.15am last Saturday, a Queenstown man was arrested for disorderly behaviour likely to cause violence after he’d been ejected from Chico’s in The Mall along with another male.

The men, who’d earlier been arguing, tussled outside and one was arrested after continuing to cause problems.

At 1.50am the same night, two Queenstown brothers aged 25 and 28 were collared following a confrontation with doormen outside Skybar in Camp St after being asked to leave. One brother was taken to hospital.

“Police inquiries are continuing and charges are likely for the parties involved,” Hindmarsh says.

Burglars on prowl

British tourists were the victim of a midnight burglary at Queenstown’s Rydges Hotel last Friday.

A room was entered and items including a Samsung cellphone, Sony camera and BlackBerry Pearl phone were nicked.

And a Dalefield house was reported as being broken into last Saturday after someone checking on the holiday home spotted a window had been forced open.

“The house had been rifled through and searched,” Hindmarsh says, “but because the owners aren’t here, we don’t know what’s been stolen.”

Double trouble

An Eastern European in Queens­town on a work permit got into double trouble after bolting from cops who’d nabbed him for drink-driving.

The 28-year-old male was pulled over on Gorge Road at 5.20am last Friday – but he decided to try and leg it after being taken to the police station.

“He was chased down outside the courthouse of all places and also charged with failing to remain for an evidential breath test,” Hindmarsh says. “It wasn’t the brightest of ideas and it doesn’t pay to run away.”

Barmy army

A 27-year-old Nepalese Gurkha soldier was fined $750 and disqualified from driving for six months
after being caught behind the wheel while over the limit on Shotover St at 1.30am last Friday.

“He was spotted driving erratically and I don’t think his commanding officer would have been too impressed,” Hindmarsh says.

Police are tracing the driver of a Subaru who scarpered on foot after hitting a parked van on Highview Terrace at 5.30am last Sunday.