Speed consultation mooted

SHARE

Residents are calling for speed bumps on a Queenstown street where a drink-driver careered into a garden – but council staff say plans for a resort-wide speed limit consultation are being worked through.

Preston Rogers-Brown says someone “potentially could have been killed” when his Brazilian neighbour Gabriel Guebara-Dequech, 31, crashed into his fence in the early hours of June 30, while four times the legal limit.

It’s the second time someone’s crashed into his property.

The 46-year-old was left $40,000 out of pocket when a car left the same 50kmh road in February 2016 and crashed into his truck, which had to be written off.

“It will take a death on this road, with a pedestrian getting killed, and even then I wouldn’t be surprised if the council doesn’t act,” Rogers-Brown says.

“Everyone speeds on this road. The drink-drivers are the worst ones.

“The council previously refused to even remotely look at putting in a couple of speed bumps.

“I would like to see the council act now – it shouldn’t be for us as ratepayers to put up our own protection.”

Rogers-Brown says a solution could be for the council to put a barrier on the roadside to protect pedestrians or build speed bumps on the road.

But council comms advisor Rebecca Pitts says staff are working on a report to put before council on reviewing the speed limits bylaw which, if adopted, will kick off a public consultation process this year.

“This will be a really important time to have a say on speed limits in your area,” Pitts says.

Gabriel Guebara-Dequech, whose breath-alcohol level was 961mcg, lost control of a rental car on a bend in the road, drove through a low brick wall and across the lawn of Rogers-Brown’s neighbour before hitting the fence.

He was sentenced to 60 hours’ community work on both charges and banned from driving for six months.

He was also ordered to pay Rogers-Brown $2968 for damaging his fence and has already paid compensation to the neighbour.

joshua.walton@scene.co.nz