Sickie’ tries to scarper


A couple from Auckland in their 20s were charged with obtaining by deception last Thursday after racking up a bill of $2600 at Millbrook Resort and allegedly trying to do a runner – in an ambulance – without paying.

Constable Sean Drader says: “At 4am the couple called the medical emergency services, feigning that one of them was ill,” Drader says. “When an ambulance turned up they apparently had their bags packed and were ready to leave in it.”

In an unrelated incident, a 20-year-old unemployed female talent spotter from Australia was spoken to by cops last Friday about an alleged unpaid accommodation and food bill for $915 at Rydges hotel last month.

Bold and the booze-fuelled

Queenstown police have been mopping up after a long weekend of mindless, booze-fuelled mayhem.
At 3am on Monday, a 28-year-old male was charged with assault and disorderly behaviour after allegedly urinating on the shoes of a man who had asked him to stop piddling in the street near World Bar. The piddler is alleged to have then punched another victim in the face, knocking him out cold.

Three people were arrested after a barney at a taxi rank in Shotover Street at 12.30am last Saturday. A 31-year-old Queenstown woman was charged with assault while her male partner, 49, and a 31-year-old Irishman were done for fighting.

A Frenchman living in Cromwell was collared for disorderly behaviour last Friday night after being abusive to police when he was refused entry to Barmuda.

At 4.30am the next morning, a 28-year-old visitor from Christchurch complained he was punched in the head by a Maori male who ran off.

“It’s not even Easter and already there has been some really poor behaviour by people old enough to know better,” constable Sean Drader says.

Headbutted at home

A 37-year-old Queenstowner was charged with assaulting his female partner at an address in Dalefield on the evening of March 15.

“He allegedly headbutted her while she was cleaning her teeth and there were more physical altercations over a period of an hour,” Drader says.

The man was arrested again two days later for allegedly yelling at his partner outside her house after being bailed on the condition not to contact her.