Pokies trust pulls A+P Show funding – but she’ll be right, say organisers.
The Lake Hayes A&P Society is having to rustle up extra cash at its annual show on Saturday because its usual funding has been pulled.
Organisers say financial assistance from the Lion Foundation pokies trust isn’t available this year due to the economic downturn.
Instead, catering facilities at the 93-year-old agricultural and pastoral event will be upgraded to make up the shortfall.
“It’s been a tight year and organisations [like the Lion Foundation] don’t have the money they usually have to bandy around,” says volunteer committee member Gemma Smith. “That’s just the way it is so we really need the support of the community.”
The A&P Society is putting on a new hospitality tent selling gourmet steak burgers, bacon butties and barbecued grub – as well as having a licensed bar.
“Without the funding, we’ll be lucky to break even and we have to do a little better than that,” explains Smith. “We are having to think outside the square a bit more and improving the quality of our facilities is one way of trying to make the event pay for itself.”
The big day kicks off with horse and pony judging. At noon, there’s a grand parade led by a pipe band, followed by show jumping competitions and dog trials. There are also sheep and fun pet lifestyle classes.
The popular pavilion section features all the old favourites, with categories like preserves, baking and floral displays, plus arts and crafts, amateur photography and more.
Entry for adults is $5 with family passes $15.
Big Day at Lake Hayes
- 7.30am: Trade Display set up and open
- 8.30am: Hack & Pony Classes
- 9.30am: Sheep Judging
- 10am: Pavilion entries close, judging begins
- 10.30am: First Logger Sports exhibition
- 11am: Mt Rosa Supreme Sheep judging
- 11.15am: Supreme Paced and Mannered (Hack & Pony)
- 11.30am: Supreme Hack & Pony
- Noon: Grand Parade (with Pipe Band) in ring
- 12.30pm: Second Logger Sports exhibition
- 1pm: Show Jumping in ring
- 2.30pm: Third Logger Sports exhibition
- 3pm: Dog Trial finals in ring
- 3.45pm: Show jumping recommences