Queenstowner busted for drug stash


Cannabis stash discovered 

A Queenstown carpenter has been convicted of growing cannabis after police found a stash worth thousands of dollars at his home. 

Karl Gordon Evans, 25, was arrested after officers searched his Lomond Crescent home on September 23. 

Sergeant Ian Collin, outlining the charges in Queenstown District Court today (Monday), said in total “302 grams with an estimated street value of $3,775” was discovered. 

Officers also found two heat lamps, timers, foil and ventilation tubes in the basement, but they were not set up. 

The unemployed carpenter pleaded guilty to cultivation of the drug and also to possession of drug utensils. 

Police initially discovered a glass bong and a small amount of cannabis leaf in the defendant’s lounge. 

They then discovered “spotting knives” in the kitchen and a 60 litre container three-quarters full of dried cannabis leaf in a bedroom. 

A further search revealed a basement with a padlock. Inside was a large wooden cabinet in which three cannabis plants were hanging. There was also the growing equipment. 

Evans denied ownership of the growing equipment saying it belonged to a friend who had left it there. 

He told police he had grown the cannabis outside before bringing it inside to dry out. 

Judge Dominic Flatley convicted the defendant and remanded him on bail while pre-sentence reports were complied. 

Drink-drive double 

A SKYDIVE firm worker who was caught drink driving twice in a week has been banned from the roads.
Joshua James Baldey, 19, gave positive breath tests on October 13 and then October 20. 

Baldey, of Marina Drive, Frankton, was disqualified from driving for a year, given a nine-month supervision order, and fined $1400 at Queenstown District Court on Monday. 

Judge Dominic Flatley says: “There are aggravating features. 

“The fact that you were charged with a further offence so soon after the first, that needs to be taken into account. 

“You need to stay off the roads if you are not mature enough to make the correct decisions.” 

The teenager, who works as ground crew at NZ Skydive, was more than double the under-20s youth limit when stopped initially. He tested positive for 400 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath. The limit is 150. 

On the second occasion he tested 600. The adult limit is 400. 

Baldey says in court: “It was a stupid decision based on me being too naïve and telling myself I’d get home without getting caught.” 

Burns victim crashes 

A BURNS victim who rolled her car after drinking has been sentenced to community work. 

Eleanor Brinsley, 18, lost control of the car on Malaghans Road, Arthurs Point, in August. The teenager had five dogs in the back seat and after turning to push one away she veered off the road. 

Overcorrecting her error, she then rolled her car on to its side. Brinsley was rescued by passers-by and rushed to hospital with arm injuries, where she gave a positive blood test for alcohol. 

Brinsley, in Queenstown District Court, says she had become dependent on alcohol after suffering severe burns in March. She spent 33 days in hospital, undergoing three operations and skin grafts. 

“I had not realised how much of a problem I had until the accident in August, in which the dogs died.” 

Judge Dominic Flatley disqualified her from driving for eight months and ordered her to pay $168 reparations.
Brinsley, who has already undergone counselling and rehabilitation, had pleaded guilty to careless driving and drink driving. 

The woman was sentenced to 60 hours of community work for each offence, but they will run concurrently.