Queenstown ‘Tindallgate’ bouncer claims miscarriage of justice


Former Queenstown doorman Jonathan Dixon hopes to take his case all the way to the Supreme Court. 

But the clock is ticking for the so-called ‘Tindallgate’ bouncer, who is serving community detention in Dunedin. 

Dixon, 42, had his conviction for the Rugby World Cup bar CCTV scandal quashed at the Appeal Court on July 17 – and replaced with another one. 

“I’ve 20 days from the ruling to make a submission to the Supreme Court and 10 of them are now gone,” Dixon says. 

“It’s difficult to even find a Supreme Court lawyer that will take on my case. After ringing everyone in Dunedin, I’ve had to go to Wellington. 

“I don’t want my case and charge to be quashed, and it stops. 

“I want it to go back to district court so as I can defend myself, no lawyer, no defence counsel, just me. I want the chance to clear my name.” 

Despite the different charge, the Appeal Court rejected Dixon’s appeal against his sentence and it stood – four months’ community detention including a night-time curfew and 300 hours’ community work. 

Burly Dixon began his sentence last Monday – showing his softer side by helping out at SPCA Otago. 

“I spent a lovely day with the SPCA. 

“I’m a phenomenal cat lover so I just get to pet cats and look after them. 

“I was doing work for them anyway. I’m part of a Facebook group, so I take pictures and make videos and put them online so people will adopt the cats or donate money.” 

Dixon obtained footage of English rugby star Mike Tindall cavorting with a former girlfriend at Queenstown’s Altitude Bar in September 2011, where he was employed as a bouncer. 

He tired to sell it to an English newspaper and later posted the footage to YouTube – splicing in snippets of himself admonishing Tindall who had wed royal Zara Phillips six weeks earlier. 

His conviction for dishonestly obtaining property was quashed by the Appeal Court – who ruled digital footage is not property.

But Appeal Court judges said he should instead have been charged with obtaining a “benefit”, the chance to sell the footage to the newspapers. 

They convicted him and rejected the appeal on his sentence. 

Dixon says the Supreme Court submission will likely be that Appeal Court judges erred in swapping the original charge and he believes there was a miscarriage of justice in the original trial. 

“I want to be able to raise my points of what happened in the original court case, so that the judges can decide whether or not there was a substantial miscarriage of justice. 

“But it really does look bleak. It really does. The New Zealand judicial system isn’t all that it is cracked up to be.” 

Dixon successfully represented himself during a trial in 2013 over two assault charges, unconnected to the CCTV case. He was acquitted on those charges.