Destination Queenstown wants help putting together earthquake-relief getaways for nerve-shattered Christchurch families and couples.
DQ is working with Queenstown Lakes District Council, Lake Wanaka Tourism and anyone in the community keen to help sort out a weekend away for Cantabrians.
Frequent after-shocks have continued to fray the nerves of Christchurch residents a week after last Saturday’s magnitude 7.1 earthquake.
“Many people aren’t sleeping properly, are very stressed and need a break now,” DQ communications boss Jen Andrews says.
The relief package will involve families and couples coming to Queenstown during September 17-20 for a minimum two-night stay.
Andrews says activities will be planned for children and their families.
DQ is specifically looking for:
• A volunteer or volunteers to help pull the Earthquake Charity Relief Programme together
• Two nights (minimum) accommodation (holiday houses included) – FREE
• Activities – it might be one trip at a particular time during the weekend – FREE
• Meals – either at a restaurant or offers to cook a family a meal – FREE
• Any other free offers you think might be appreciated.
Anyone keen to help should email their offer and contact details to Destination Queenstown’s Marg Taylor at email@example.com by 5pm tomorrow – Friday, September 10. They will then be collated and passed on to the organisers.