Queenstown publican’s drink-drive shame


A well-known Queenstown publican has been fined $1200 for drink-driving at almost three-times the legal limit. 

Queenstown Spei­ght’s Ale House co-owner Clark Frew (right), 42, last Thursday ad­­­­­­mitted the off­ending in Auckland District Court. 

Frew had been at a function near Arrowtown on October 25 last year and took a taxi home that night, The New Zealand Herald reports. 

The next day he returned to get his car at about 10am, thinking he’d be ok to drive – but he was still well over the limit. 

Frew was spotted driving erratically towards Queenstown and police were called when he swerved on to the opposite side of the road and into the path of oncoming traffic, NZ Herald says. 

He blew a reading of more than 1000 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath and elected a blood test, which produced a reading of 236 milligrams of alcohol per litre of blood. The legal limit is 80mg. 

“He is embarrassed to be appearing before the court,” a duty lawyer told the court, the Herald says. 

“He accepts it is a very high reading, he regrets his decision.” 

Frew has a drink-driving conviction from 1990 with a similarly-high reading. 

Community Magistrate Rebecca Ewert convicted, fined and disqualified Frew from driving for eight months. 

He was also ordered to pay medical and analysts’ fees of $193, plus court costs. 

Frew couldn’t be contacted for comment. 

Concert-goer arrest 

A dopey Queenstown man allegedly bragged to police about sneaking back into a concert after being chucked out by security – and was promptly arrested. 

The 55-year-old was ejected from the Summer Concert Series at Waitiri Creek on Tuesday evening. 

“He bragged about getting back in and was arrested for unlawfully being on a property,” sergeant Mark Gill says. 

Cops dealing with crashes 

Inquiries are continuing after police found a crashed car abandoned in the middle of an Arrowtown road. 

Officers were called to Manse Road on Monday morning at 8am and found the smashed silver vehicle on its roof.
Later that day, they located the 49-year-old female owner, who has minor injuries. Constable Beth Fookes says: 

“She has been spoken to and inquiries are continuing.” 

The crash is believed to have occurred at 1.30am on Monday. 

Drivers have 24 hours to report a crash if there is no other vehicle involved and are legally allowed to leave the scene. 

On Tuesday, a 30-year-old Chilean woman was treated in hospital for minor injuries after crashing her car into a stationary bus on Fernhill. 

The woman lost control near the Heritage Hotel at 6.15am and collided with the bus, parked in the car park opposite the hotel. 

And officers were also called to Gibbston Valley Winery on Monday morning after a 27-year-old Chinese woman – arriving at the business for her first day on a new job – missed the turning and instead crashed through the stone wall. She sustained a minor wrist injury.