Some Frankton residents will have no power this afternoon after a mechanical digger accidentally struck overhead cables.
The driver was moving rubbish from a house site in Lake Avenue about noon when the machine’s arm got caught on a low-slung cable.
“It’s the first time I’ve driven the digger,” the Jenkins Earthworks employee, who doesn’t want to be named, says: “I didn’t realize the cables would be so low.”
He suspected something was wrong after seeing the panicked look on a nearby resident’s face as she frantically pointed above him.
“I didn’t get a shock or anything and then fire engines and police started turning up,” he says.
It will take at least four hours for power to be restored to houses along Lake Ave and Birse Street.