Police have arrested a 40-year-old Queenstowner after an alleged serious assault that left a man in an induced coma.
In a statement this afternoon (Friday), Queenstown detective Matt Jones says the 40-year-old faces a charge of wounding with reckless disregard causing grievous bodily harm.
The arrest comes after a week-long investigation into an incident involving two patrons at Queenstown’s Subculture nightclub about 3am last Saturday.
Detective Jones says the arrested man has been given strict court-imposed bail conditions to appear on Monday in the Queenstown District Court.
The 26-year-old victim Jordan Sinke, in an induced coma for much of the week, remains in Dunedin Hospital in a serious but stable condition. Sinke is the manager of Queenstown’s Dux de Lux bar, owned by his father Richard Sinke.
Detective Jones says of Jordan: “When he is well enough, police hope to speak with him about the incident.”
The arrested man also faces a charge of common assault in relation to a separate alleged assault on a friend of Jordan’s who was in Subculture at the time.
Detective Jones says while there are still some inquiries to be completed, police want to thank members of the public for their assistance with the investigation.
“Although an arrest has been made and police have spoken to a number of people, police would still like to hear from anyone else who either witnessed the incident or has information about it.
Richard Sinke told Mountain Scene earlier this week his son had worked at Queenstown’s Dux for five years and managed it for the past 12 months.
On the night of the incident, Jordan was farewelling a mate heading to Australia, Richard says.
“It’s a very serious assault. It was a life-threatening assault,” Richard says.
Anyone with any information can contact Queenstown Police on 441 1600 or call Police anonymously on the Crimestoppers line 0800 555 111.