Party thumps across Queenstown


Complaints from as far away as Fernhill eventually shut down a noisy 50th birthday party at Kelvin Heights on Sunday night.

Queenstown council’s mouthpiece Michele Poole says noise control received five calls within a very short space of time, the first coming in at 10.30pm.

One Frankton Rd resident, who asked not to be named, says the music was “unusually loud”.

The man, who lives about 2km away from the party, across Lake Wakatipu, says he initially thought the noise was coming from his neighbours.

“But then [I] very quickly realised it couldn’t be because the song that was playing at the time was Shania Twain Man! I Feel Like a Woman.

“No neighbours of mine would play that music aloud.

“When I realised it was coming from the other side of the lake I thought, ‘What are their own neighbours thinking?’.”

He says he could see “disco lights” or similar flashing from the property, describing it as looking like “a downtown club”.

He eventually called noise control just before midnight.

“I’ve never called them before in my life [but] it went on and on and on.

“Good on them for having a 50th and inviting the whole town … We all felt like we were there.”

Poole says noise control first attended the address at 10.50pm, issued a warning and asked for the volume to be turned down.

However, more complaints were made and noise control returned to the address at 11.30pm “prepared to seize the stereo”.

Poole says when noise control returned, taxis were waiting to take people from the property.

Police “have” to attend when the council is conducting a seizure but she says they were too busy on Sunday night. 

A police communications spokeswoman says Queenstown police didn’t attend the party.

? A party in Thompson St, Queenstown, was shut down by police early on Good Friday.

Senior Sergeant Craig Dinnissen, of the Southern District Command Centre, says police were called to the house early on Friday having received several noise and disorder complaints.

Several people were removed from the property but no arrests were made.

It is understood to be the same property where about 300 people attended a party on Christmas night from which a 19-year-old woman was taken to hospital after falling from a window and suffering a moderate back injury.

Otago Daily Times