No sex assault charges

SHARE

Police will not lay charges in relation to an allegation of sexual assault at the Queenstown Youth Park early on New Year’s Day.

Sergeant Blair Duffy, of Queenstown, says police have concluded an investigation and “at this point no charges will be laid”.

The youth park, located on the site of the former Queenstown Motor Camp in Man St and run on behalf of the Queenstown Lakes District Council for a week over the New Year period, closes today.

Since New Year’s Eve, police have been busy dealing with incidents involving visitors to the resort – particularly those from Christchurch.

Sergeant Duffy says a 25-year-old Christchurch man who allegedly fled the scene of a car crash at the One Mile roundabout early on New Year’s Day was arrested later the same day.

The man was charged with dangerous driving over the incident, which resulted in the car leaving the road and rolling on to its roof. Other charges were being considered.

An 18-year-old Christchurch man was arrested and charged with disorderly behaviour after allegedly “pushing and shoving” another man in Queenstown Mall about 1.40am on Friday.

He had earlier been ejected from Winnies bar for intoxication. The other man involved in the dispute, also from Christchurch, was arrested and given a pre-charge warning for disorderly behaviour.

Three Balclutha teenagers have been given pre-charge warnings and a fourth youth from the town, aged 17, referred to police youth aid after becoming involved in a fight in the resort’s centre about 4am.

The four were the “aggressors” in a confrontation with two British nationals, Duffy says.

Two people have been processed for drink-driving in the resort. A 31-year-old American woman stopped on Hawthorne Dr at 7.25pm on Thursday recorded a breath-alcohol level of 305mcg, while a 25-year-old British national living in Christchurch was stopped on Man St at 1.50am on Friday, recording a breath-alcohol level of 523mcg.