More Queenstown carparks eaten


Fifteen more carparks in central Queenstown are likely to go, in a potential deal between Queenstown’s council and developer Skyline Enterprises.

But the council says it’s committed to maintaining the overall number of carparks in the resort’s CBD.

If the Marine Parade footpath is widened in front of Skyline’s $6 million waterfront building it will specify where other carparks will be found.

Carparks are a sore point with some Queenstowners.

Some have already been lost in the town’s central business district because of controversial footpath work outside Fergburger on Shotover Street, a pedestrian trial in upper Beach St and a new backpacker hostel built on Henry St.

The council has set aside $250,000 to widen the footpath along Marine Parade opposite Eichardt’s Private Hotel and Skyline’s new building.

At a special meeting in the resort yesterday, councillors gave staff approval to negotiate with Skyline to ensure the project would be completed within budget.

The footpath would be widened to 6.5m to improve access for pedestrians and cyclists, but at the cost of 15 angle parks.

The Skyline’s building’s construction means the parks are already out of action.

Councillor Scott Stevens says the loss of the parking spaces should have been mentioned in the staff report as a disadvantage of the preferred option.

Mayor Vanessa van Uden says the council is committed to maintaining the overall number of parks in the central business district.

In his report, council project manager Andrew Timms says Skyline has to raise the footpath and road levels outside its new building to satisfy flood height levels.

The council would save money by undertaking the footpath-widening project at the same time.

Earlier in the meeting, councillors needed only 10 minutes to approve a consultation document for the council’s 2016-17 annual plan.

The estimated overall rates increase in is 2.56 per cent, lower than the forecast 3.27 per cent.

Online feedback on the annual plan starts today. The council is asking the public to approve several major variations to its long-term plan.

That includes a total of nearly $1m for a transport business case to ease traffic flows, investigation of a new council headquarters in the resort and partly funding putting power lines underground along Ladies Mile.

Not up for consultation are the acceleration of a $23.6m upgrade of Queenstown’s sewerage system, an earlier opening of the $12.3m Wanaka Pool, and a doubling of its budget for the district plan review.

A guide to the annual plan will be delivered to ratepayers from next week. Submissions to the plan close on April 29.

Otago Daily Times