People absolutely love tarragon. It’s a key herb in French cuisine and works in perfect harmony with many dishes involving egg, veal, fish, numerous vegetables and poultry.
It is also the defining flavour in the magnificent Bearnaise sauce. A hugely-versatile herb, tarragon has a unique flavour that’s similar to slightly-sweet aniseed.
The French call it the king of the herbs, and you’ll understand why once you cook this recipe and see how it brings it to life. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOK TIME: 10-12mins
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
500g brown mushrooms
1 full sprig of tarragon (add more if you love it like me!)
2 sprigs thyme
Good pinch of salt (at least a teaspoon!)
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup cream
3 tablespoons creme fraiche (if don’t want to use, add a little more cream and a little more lemon)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Generous amount freshly-ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 loaf sour dough
1. Slice your mushrooms to about .5cm thickness after brushing clean with a dry cloth.
2. Put the butter and oil in a pan and heat to a medium heat. Once melted, pop in the diced garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins until softened but not browned.
3. Tip in your chopped mushrooms, half your tarragon and thyme and turn the heat up a little. Once the mushrooms have softened a little, say after 2-3 mins, pour in the wine, then cook for a further 3-4 mins until the wine has mostly evaporated.
4. Fill a pan and bring to boil and poach two eggs.
5. Meanwhile, pour the cream, creme fraiche, lemon juice and rest of the thyme and tarragon into the mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Taste and add the salt and freshly-ground pepper. You may need to add a little more salt according to your taste.
6. While this is coming back to simmer, slice four pieces of sour dough and toast. Butter and put on to two plates.
7. Once the mushrooms have thickened to your liking, remove from heat and tip evenly over the toast. Top with a poached egg.
8. Sprinkle with chopped chives and a generous amount of cracked pepper and serve immediately.