Sundried tomatoes are a sweet, dried tomato typically packed in oil to retain their intense and concentrated flavour. They are either dried in the sun naturally or in the oven. Just a small amount can add extra colour, flavour and excitement to a dish. Combine these little taste explosions with garlic, parmesan and infuse in a creamy sauce _ enveloping the crispy, golden chicken – and you can create the perfect comfort food. Fast, simple, delicious! Treat yourself to this slightly indulgent dish on these cold winter nights.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 20 MINS
SERVES: 4-5 PEOPLE
6-8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
3 cups baby spinach
50g artichoke hearts, quartered if not already
Garlic and lemon beans
300g green beans, trimmed
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice half lemon
Pesto brown rice
2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
3 tablespoons pesto
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown on both sides, about three-to-four minutes per side. Set aside.
2. Cook the rice according to the pack; I do mine in a rice cooker. When using brown rice it’s two-parts water to one-part rice, and I add a little chicken stock.
3. Meanwhile, pour boiling water over the spinach through a sieve and drain thoroughly. Blanch the beans in boiling water for one minute then drain and run under cold water.
4. Pour a little oil from the sundried tomatoes into the pan and add the garlic and chilli flakes and stir until garlic softens, about one minute.
5. Pour in wine and deglaze the pan, then add the stock, cream, sundried tomatoes, spinach, artichoke and parmesan. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, add back the chicken and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, about three-to-five minutes.
6. Heat a pan to medium-high heat and add a little oil. Add garlic and gently fry for about one minute then toss through your beans and combine thoroughly for about one minute then squeeze over lemon juice.
7. Once the rice is cooked, stir through the pesto and salt to taste.
8. Season chicken dish with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat. Serve immediately, with the rice and beans.