Christmas is on the horizon, which means “party food” is on the menu. If you are in charge of hosting this year’s Christmas dinner or cocktail party, never fear! Here are three effortless canapes that you can put together in no time at all. A canape not only needs to look irresistible, but also has to be easy to eat. These tasty mouthfuls sitting on a delicate puff pastry will not fail to impress your guests! Get your party or Christmas meal off to a stylish start with these tempting morsels, that even the most basic cooks will be able to create. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
SERVES: 6-8 PEOPLE
Seared beef with wasabi on puff pastry discs
500g beef fillet
2 tablespoons olive oil
Good bunch rocket
Salt and pepper
Salmon, creme fraiche and pomegranate on cucumber
200g smoked salmon (I got mine from Harbour Fish)
1/2 telegraph cucumber sliced to 0.5cm slices
Good handful dill (leave enough to garnish)
Chilli and garlic prawn on puff pastry discs
12 raw prawns with tails off
3 cloves garlic diced
1 red chilli seeded and diced
Good handful flat leaf parsley sliced
Juice of lemon
Puff pastry discs
1 sheet puff pastry
Creme fraiche sauce
150g creme fraiche
Juice half lemon
2 tablespoons chopped chives (leave extra for garnish)
1. For the puff pastry discs, preheat oven to 170 degrees. Take one sheet of puff pastry and a small pasta cutter. If you do not have a pasta cutter, you can cut small bite-sized squares. Cut out 24 disks and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Place a piece of baking paper over the pastry, then place a light tray over the top, this will stop it puffing.
2. Place in oven for 10-12 mins until the discs are golden brown then remove, lift the tray and paper off the top and let them cool.
3. For the beef, season generously with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy pan to a high heat and sear the meat on all sides until brown, around 5 mins. Remove from pan and let rest for 10 mins until ready to serve. Slice the beef thinly and pop onto a paper towel to ensure the blood won’t run on pastry.
4. For the creme fraiche topping, combine the creme fraiche, wasabi, lemon and chives and mix with a spoon till combined. Split into two bowls and add the chopped dill for the salmon dish into one of the bowls and combine.
5. For the prawns, melt the butter and the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 1-2 mins. Turn up heat and throw in prawns and fry for 1 min each side. Take off heat and sprinkle with parsley and lemon.
6. To serve, place the discs and cucumber on a large serving platter. Place a piece of rocket on 12 discs, then top with the beef then spoon on a little creme fraiche with chives mix and garnish with chopped chive. Next place half a piece of salmon on each piece of cucumber, spoon on the creme fraiche with dill mix, then garnish with a sprinkle of pomegranate and dill. Next place a prawn on the remaining 12 pastry discs and garnish with chopped parsley.