Mille-feuille - translated from French it means a thousand leaves. It refers to the numerous layers within the puff pastry used in this recipe. With the abundance of ripe peaches at the moment (including a tree bulging with them in my backyard), I thought it appropriate to create a delicious peach dessert. I have cheated and used pre-made pastry, assuming many readers wouldn’t have the time to create the layers of butter pastry themselves. We need to make the most of these late summer fruits whilst we can, as there seems to be a noticeable morning chill in the air, signalling the onset of autumn. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 20 MINS
SERVES: 4 PEOPLE
2 sheets of butter puff pastry
6-8 peaches, peeled and sliced
435ml or 1 3/4 cups milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds separated or 1 teaspoon essence
3 egg yolks
70g or 1/3 cup caster sugar
50g or 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon plain flour, sifted
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. For the creme patisserie, warm milk and the vanilla seeds or essence in a saucepan. Whisk (I used my electric hand whisker) yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Whisk in the sifted flour. Slowly pour in about 1/3 of the warmed milk into the egg mix whilst whisking constantly. Then slowly pour egg mixture back into pot with remaining milk, stirring constantly.
3. Stir over a low heat for 5-10 mins or until mixture thickens. Tip into a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Place in fridge.
4. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place pastry on the lined tray. Top the pastry with another sheet of baking paper and another baking tray. Bake in oven for about 20 mins until golden brown.
5. Use a large serrated knife to trim edges of pastry. Cut pastry in half, then in three even pieces. Place one pastry piece on a large serving platter. Spread about two tablespoons of creme patisserie on pastry, topped with sliced peaches. Place the next layer of pastry on top of the peaches and repeat with the custard and peaches. Top with next pastry layer.
6. Using a fine sieve, sprinkle generously with icing sugar. Serve immediately.