This dish can be prepared incredibly quickly and will tantalise the tastebuds! It has simple Thai flavours, is light and fragrant while also blasting you with a little sweet and sour. I have been a bit cheeky and used a Thai curry paste, something many households will already have in their fridges. To make the soup little more authentic, you can add in the optional ingredients, but if you simply leave them out, it will still be flavoursome. Transport yourself and family or guests to the beach huts of Thailand with this fast and fragrant soup. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 5 MINS
COOK TIME: 12 MINS
SERVES: 4 PEOPLE
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 heaped tablespoons Thai green curry paste
1 tablespoon grated ginger (or 4 slices of galangal for more authenticity)
1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised (also optional)
4 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
400ml coconut milk (one can)
3 cups chicken stock
2 free-range chicken breasts (or four thighs)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 large brown mushrooms
1 courgette, cut into little finger-size pieces
1 good handful chopped coriander
1 long red chilli, sliced into matchstick-size pieces
1 packet Trident rice stick noodles
1 lime, quartered
- Take a large pot and heat the vegetable oil to a medium-high heat. Add the curry paste, ginger, lime leaves and lemongrass and stir for 2-3 mins until fragrant.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock and bring to a simmer for 5 mins. Pop in your two chicken breasts and simmer for 8 mins.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and rest covered in tin foil.
- Add the brown sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and mix through. Taste and add in a little more of what you think you need.
- Pop in the mushrooms and cook for about 2 mins, then tip in the chopped courgettes. Cook for a further 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook your noodles according to the packet; usually 3-4 mins. Drain.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Divide the noodles and shredded chicken evenly amongst the bowls. Pour the soup evenly between the four bowls, making sure the mushrooms and courgettes are evenly distributed.
- Garnish with coriander, chilli and lime and serve immediately.
NB: You can change the protein for prawns or fish, which is still delicious. Just pop it in for 2-3 mins before the end of the cooking process before serving. Or you can remove the protein completely and add a few more vegetables for a vegetarian option.