Know these women?


Queenstown police have released CCTV images of two women (right) who allegedly picked up a handbag from outside a Queenstown restaurant. 

The bag was taken from outside Fergburger in the early hours of Saturday, May 5, after owner Rebecca Cooper, 34, left it next to a bench while saying goodbye to a friend. 

Queenstowner Cooper told Mountain Scene last week: “These girls came out of [neighbouring] Fergbaker and passed it behind the back of their legs and walked off with it.” 

Police want to speak to the two women, both wearing little black dresses, in the security camera images.

Tip-off on Trade Me

Eagle-eyed police caught a mountain bike thief after spotting it had been sold on Trade Me. 

The distinctive downhill bike, worth $2600, had been nicked from the back yard of Outside Sports in Queenstown in December. 

Officers contacted the buyer on the popular internet auction site, recovered the bike and arrested the seller. 

Judge Michael Turner sentenced the thief to 90 hours’ community work at Queenstown District Court on Monday. 
The thief was granted final name suppression due to mental health concerns. 

Judge Turner also ordered him to pay the buyer $1900 – the $1550 he’d paid for the bike and $350 for emotional harm. 

Judge Turner says: “The purchaser was left out of pocket and says in the victim impact statement his summer was ruined.” 

Taxi for drunkards 

Queenstown taxi drivers bore the brunt after two boozed-up Queenstowners kicked off in separate incidents this week. 

Police arrested a 26-year-old woman on Fernhill Road shortly after 8pm on Tuesday. 

Acting sergeant Tracy Haggart says: “When they arrived she was sitting in the taxi driver’s seat and he was outside the vehicle. 

“She was very intoxicated, yelling and screaming.” 

The woman was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly behaviour. 

Officers also arrested a 40-year-old man at 5am on Lower Shotover Rd the next morning. The drunken man had been screaming obscenities about the French, and then refused to pay the $47 cab fare. 

He was charged with using offensive language and obtaining by deception.