Jetstar is cancelling its Queenstown-Wellington service from September 1.
The budget carrier had earlier cut back its service between the two centres from seven days a week to four.
Jetstar says it’s made the decision so it can redeploy aircraft on the Auckland-Christchurch route.
Queenstown Airport Corporation chief executive Scott Paterson says while Jetsar’s cutback is disappointing, it’s not a major setback.
Till the end of August there’ll be up to 17 weekly Queenstown-Wellington flights, says.
And the two centres will still be accessible following Air New Zealand’s recent announcement that it’s increasing capacity by 44 per cent.
“As well as increasing its Queenstown schedule over the last couple of years, Jetstar has brought competition to our market,” Paterson says.
Jetstar had also recently added extra capacity to its Auckland-Queenstown route and increased services to the resort from both Melbourne and Sydney.