Novotel Queenstown Lakeside hotel was evacuated this afternoon (Sunday) after a room fire caused by an over-heated appliance.
Novotel general manager Jim Moore says a boot warmer, accidentally left on by Japanese guests in an Earl Street-facing ground floor room, caused the fire.
It was put out by automatic sprinklers before the fire brigade arrived, Moore says.
“The hotel didn’t have too many people in and they were evacuated.”
The room sustained smoke and water damage and a suitcase or backpack was “fairly well burnt”, Moore says.
Guests are being relocated to other floors including about half a dozen who were in rooms next door due to “a little bit of smell and a little bit of water damage on some of the carpets”.