Historic Queenstown houses feature in new book ‘Otago and Southland Heritage Houses’, by Tessa Ward and illustrated by Rodney Wells
Historic Stone House
Built as a wooden cottage with stone lean-to in 1874, this Hallenstein St house had stone extensions – an entrance hall and sitting room – added 10 years later. Former owner Fred-
erick Daniel was mayor in the 1870s. A mortgagee sale in 1893, it’s now owned by Alex McMillan and John Oaten.
This 1864 Marine Parade property is named after boat builder and mariner John Ralph Williams who bought the lakeside section for 20 pounds. Original 1878 wallpaper remains intact. Queenstown Lakes District Council bought it in 1994. Now a category 1 home with NZ Historic Places Trust.
Once Queenstown’s “finest mansion”, only the remains of this Speargrass Flat Road property exist on open farmland. Built in 1872-1873 for then-Queenstown mayor Bendix Hallenstein, it eventually fell into disrepair and by 1946 was abandoned. Now owned by Victoria and Revell Buckham.
Park Street cottage built in 1862 for a Chinese goldmining family. Bought by Kate Thompson and her nephew, poet Charles Brasch in 1955. In 1986, it was inherited by Kate and husband Tommy’s son, Tim Thompson. He and second wife, cousin Ann Thompson, added a long drawing room in 2003.
Walter Peak Station home built in 1912 for Hugh McKenzie and daughter Margaret. One of three historic homes at the station where station managers and staff lived from 1972-1987. Homestead area bought from receivers by Convelle Enterprises Ltd in 1991. Real Journeys leases eight hectares.