Home detention for CBD chase driver


A drunk driver who led police on a chase around Queenstown CBD before crashing into a patrol car has been sentenced to four months’ home detention.

Stonemason Jackson Todd, 24, was also banned from the roads for 15 months, sentenced to 150 hours community work and also a nine-month supervision order.

He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, drink driving and failing to remain stopped for police.

The offences related to a chase on town centre streets at 1am on November 27 last year. He had been spotted by a member of the public overtaking a taxi and driving down the wrong side of Camp Street.

Foot patrol officers attempted to pull his vehicle over on Marine Parade but Todd reversed and then accelerated away.

A patrol car followed him down Ballarat Street, before he turned onto Athol Street, then back onto Ballarat Street before crashing into the patrol car.

He was breath tested and blew 995 micrograms per litre of breath – more than twice the legal limit.

Judge Michael Turner, sentencing at Queenstown District Court on Monday, says: “If you keep drink driving and smoking cannabis you will be back here.

“You put your driving down to panic and you described it as mistake after mistake.”

Todd, of Glenorchy, had also been convicted of drink driving on 2006. He had been at a friend’s birthday party and had three passengers in the car during the recent offending.

The sentence of four months’ community detention means he must stay at home between 7pm and 8am.

Jail for “immature” youngster

An “immature” youngster who threw a plastic cup at his girlfriend’s head and also breached previous supervision and community work orders has been jailed.

Taane Pollard-Grey, 18, was sentenced to three months behind bars after pleading guilty to three offences when he appeared in Queenstown District Court on Monday.

Pollard-Grey, previously of Watts Road, Queenstown, had thrown the cup at his then partner’s head after they had both been drinking at their neighbours’ home.

On returning home, she had disagreed with the way he had spoken to her 10-year-old son. Pollard-Grey threw the cup and then went outside and broke a window. His partner was not injured. They are no longer in a relationship.

Pollard-Grey had previously been jailed for six weeks after failing to comply with community work and supervision orders, given for other offences.

He had 201 hours community work outstanding after leaving prison.

Duty lawyer Phena Byrne says: “He accepts he struggles to comply, he is honest about that. We are dealing with a relatively immature18-year-old.”

Judge Michael Turner cancelled the community work after jailed him – two months for the breach, and a month each (cumulative) for common assault and intentional damage of the window.

Plumber punched man who pinched girlfriend’s bum 

A plumber who punched another man who had grabbed his girlfriend’s bottom in a bar has appeared in court.

Cole Pewhairangi, 27, had demanded his victim Simon Roirdan apologise to his girlfriend after she accused him of slapping and squeezing her behind as she stood at Winnie’s bar, Queenstown District Court heard.

When he refused, Pewhairangi punched him in face, knocking out his front tooth and sending him stumbling back onto the pool table. Roirdan needed 11 stiches to the side of his mouth.

Pewhairangi, of Glenda Drive, vacated his not guilty plea. His lawyer indicated he will apply for a discharge without conviction before the case returns to court in April.

Air pistol bumbler in court

An Englishman who shot himself in the leg with an air pistol has appeared in court.

Unemployed Jamie Sutherland, of Frankton Road, was arrested by officers on Friday lunchtime on Lower Stewart Street. They had been called to reports of a man with a pistol and at the same time ambulance control had received a 111 call from a man stating he had shot himself.

Sutherland, 29, was found with a welt on his leg. He was charged with having a firearm in a public place, namely an air pistol, without a lawful purpose and pleaded guilty at Queenstown District Court on Monday. He has been remanded on bail until April 23.

Drink driving ban

A 22-year-old who had been out drinking with a friend whose mother had died and then gave him a lift home has been banned from the roads.

Tiaho A Tawera Taylor-Mahaki, of Hutt Street, Queenstown, was stopped by police on Hallenstein Street at 4.15am on Saturday, March 3.

He blew 677 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath when tested. The legal limit is 400.

Duty lawyer Phena Byrne told Queenstown District Court on Monday the defendant had been out drinking with a friend who had learnt his mother had passed away.

Taylor-Mahaki had walked home but then agreed to go back out to drive a friend home, believing himself to be the most sober of his group of friends.

Taylor-Mahaki was disqualified for the minimum mandatory period of six months and fined $500.

Caught five times

A truck driver caught drink driving for the fifth time has appeared in court.

Lindsay Dixon, 39, of Marina Drive, Frankton, was stopped on Frankton Road on Saturday, February 4, in a random police stop. He blew 753 micrograms per litre of breath. The legal limit is 400.

Dixon, who had two passengers in his car when stopped, pleaded guilty and was remanded on bail until April 23. A pre-sentence report, including a drug and alcohol assessment, is being prepared.

It will consider community detention as a penalty.

Welder Justin Robert Bell, 29, of Remarkables Crescent, Frankton, was fined $450 and disqualified from driving for six months after admitted drink driving.

Bell was stopped by police on Bride Street, Frankton, on Friday, February 10 and blew 480 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath. The legal limit is 400.

He then elected for a blood test and was 118 milligrams of alcohol per litre.

Bell, appearing a Queenstown District Court, pleaded guilty and admitted consuming two big bottles of beer. He must also pay court and medical costs.

Bong by bedside

A cook who was caught with two plastic bongs when police called at his Kelvin Heights home has been sentenced to 60 hours community work.

David Robert Culling, 22, pleaded guilty to a charge under the misuse of drugs act when he appeared at Queenstown District Court on Monday.

Police found one bong on his bedroom table and another in his kitchen when they searched his Peninsula Road home in February. Culling told officers he liked to smoke cannabis.
He was already completing 250 hours community work for other offences.

Bail conditions relaxed in kidnap case

A 20-year-old facing serious charges in the Queenstown alleged kidnap case has successfully applied to have her bail conditions varied.

Rachel Faul is now “not to be found in a public place between 10pm-6am unless in the constant company of her mother or father”. She has been under home curfew during those hours for three months.