Green light for Jack’s Point subdivision

SHARE

An Environment Court order has cleared the way for a Jack’s Point subdivision after five years of wrangling.

The order means developer Coneburn Planning Ltd can proceed with the subdivision of a 7360sq m site in the Terraces area of the resort village near Queenstown.

It resolves the company’s appeal, lodged in 2010, of a Queenstown Lakes District Council decision to decline a resource consent application for the subdivision.

Coneburn, then known as Zante Holdings Ltd, applied in 2009 to subdivide the site into seven lots, each with a residential unit. The lots range in size from 941sq m to 1146sq m, and would be accessed from Kinross Lane.

In his order, which was released last week, Judge Jon Jackson said it had been made at the request of both parties following a consent memorandum agreed on March 31.

In 2010, the Otago Daily Times reported then Lakes Environmental planner David Wallace telling a resource consent hearing the proposal was “not appropriate for the location”.

It would set an “undesirable” precedent of enabling residential development in the golf course, open space and recreational facilities area, Wallace said.

Coneburn’s sole director, Donald Fletcher, could not be reached for comment.

Fletcher, of Queenstown, is one of the original partners in Jack’s Point along with developer John Darby and Hong Kong listed investment holding company Sea Holdings.