I love spring for all the obvious reasons … warmer weather, BBQ season, etc. However, it also marks the start of asparagus season. The recipe below is simple, yet a somewhat indulgent use of this earthy vegetable, combined with a spicy smoked salmon and a lemony cream sauce. There are so many wonderful ways to prepare asparagus, and when you combine it with the nutritional powerhouse of salmon, it’s a match made in heaven. I can’t get enough of asparagus, so keep an eye out for recipes to come using this exceptional vegetable. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 5 MINS
COOK TIME: 10 MINS
SERVES: 4 PEOPLE
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 4cm lengths
1 tablespoon olive oil
200g pack Regal mixed pepper and spices smoked salmon
2 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup dry white wine
250ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon horseradish sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (plus a little more for garnish)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Generously salt the water, and cook the pasta according to the instructions. Cook until al dente, then drain.
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, till fragrant. Add in the wine and simmer, uncovered, for 2 mins, or until wine’s reduced by half.
3. Break up the salmon into bite-sized pieces. Pour the cream into the pan, and add in the salmon, horseradish, dill and asparagus, and bring to a simmer.
4. Cook for about 3-4 mins, stirring gently, to allow the asparagus to cook and the salmon flavour to infuse through the sauce.
5. Add the pasta into the sauce and gently combine. Cook until heated through, then stir in the lemon juice. Divide evenly across four bowls and sprinkle with the lemon zest and extra dill. Serve immediately.