Firefighters tackle second blaze at historic cottage

SHARE

Firefighters were called to a smouldering Hallenstein Street house this morning – the second at the premises in four days. 

Alex McMillan, who leases the Historic Stonehouse boutique accommodation at 47 Hallenstein St, raised the alarm when he saw smoke seeping from the cottage roof. 

Police cordoned off the road while three fire engines and about 15 fire fighters from Queenstown Volunteer Fire Brigade dealt with the smoking roof fire, which was contained by 8.30 am. 

They don’t yet know what sparked the blaze. 

McMillan says the bed and breakfast accommodation was empty and the water and electricity were turned off following a fire in the premises on Friday, caused by old wiring near the hot water cylinder. 

Friday’s fire caused water mains to burst, which put out the flames and soaked the hallway. 

“There was a water heater fire on Friday and I had come back down to air it out again when I saw smoke,” 
McMillian says. 

McMillan says on Friday there was “water everywhere” but “it was just about dry”. 

The property, which was originally built in 1874, is owned by Alcedonia Management Limited in Te Puke.