Drug-dealing to students admitted

SHARE

A part-time labourer has admitted drug-dealing involving Wakatipu High School pupils.

Harrison Kevin Robert Newman, 17, of Queenstown, appeared in the Queenstown District Court yesterday before Judge Christina Cook. 

He seeks a discharge without conviction on two charges – supplying class C-controlled cannabis to Jessy Wilson-Rowe, a person under the age of 18, between January 1 and September 16 last year; and possession of cannabis between September 16 and November 17, at Queenstown.

Wilson-Rowe, 17, previously admitted supplying cannabis between August 29 and November 20. He was remanded until March to have his application for a discharge without conviction heard.

Police prosecutor Tim Hambleton says police obtained text message data between August 26 and November 19 from Newman’s cell phone.

The text messages show the defendant was involved in the distribution and procurement, or attempted procurement, of cannabis plant.

From September 5 to November 7, Newman exchanged daily text messages with another person, “constantly asking him if he can supply and on occasion, when the defendant was given money in advance, when they could expect delivery”. 

From January last year until September 15 the defendant supplied $50 bags of cannabis to his associate on at least five times.

The defendant and his associate communicated by text message and either met in or around the Queenstown CBD or by the edge of the Wakatipu High School grounds, Hambleton says.

Police spoke to Newman on December 31. He declined to make a statement.

drug-dealing on its grounds.

Defence counsel Sonia Vidal said Newman sought a discharge because he hoped to join the army.

Judge Cook granted the transfer to the Christchurch District Court for the application to be heard, on February 27.

She ordered that he not associate with George McCrostie.

• A charge of possessing class C-controlled cannabis for the purpose of supply between August 26 and September 30 at Queenstown laid against McCrostie (18) was withdrawn by police yesterday.

McCrostie, who’s in custody, didn’t appear in court. 

Judge Cook approved a transfer to the Christchurch District Court for sentencing and ordered an updated pre-sentence report to address home detention. 

McCrostie had previously admitted supplying cannabis to a person under the age of 18, between January 1 and October 30 last year; supplying cannabis to a person under 18, on August 29 and on September 13; offering to supply cannabis to a person over 18, on September 5; and a breach of supervision, between November 7 and 10, all at Queenstown.

McCrostie will be sentenced on February 25.

Otago Daily Times