Drink driving mum gets disqualified


A hairdresser caught drink-driving, after going to Queenstown police station to argue with another motorist, has been disqualified. 

Justine Leigh Bain, 35, was involved in a minor collision on Hylton Place near Fresh Choice supermarket in the early afternoon of August 6. 

Bain and the other motorist began arguing and both decided to drive to the station to settle the dispute. 

Police breath tested them both and Bain was found to have an excess breath alcohol reading of 536 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath. The legal limit is 400mcg. 

Bain was convicted, fined $540 plus court costs, and disqualified from driving for six months. After she was arrested, police alleged Bain had two child passengers in the car. 

Convict sent packing 

A 35-year-old Australian tourist was stopped at Queenstown Airport due to criminal convictions. 

The man arrived from Brisbane at 3pm on Saturday afternoon. 

“The passenger was refused entry because of a 2006 criminal conviction for which he was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment,” an Immigration NZ spokeswoman says. 

The spokeswoman wouldn’t reveal his conviction. Immigration law prohibits entry for anyone who has served a year or more in jail for an offence in the past 10 years. 

The man spent a night in Queenstown police cells before returning home the next day. 

Alleged thefts and assaults 

Two Frenchmen will appear in court after the theft of a handbag from a Queenstown nightclub on Sunday. 

The men, both 23, were allegedly seen on CCTV cameras taking the bag, containing a camera, iPod and $50. 

One was arrested that afternoon, with the camera allegedly in his possession. He was charged with theft. 

On Monday, police executed a search warrant at a Queenstown address where more of the stolen property was recovered and the other Frenchman was arrested. He was charged with receiving stolen goods. 

Officers were called to a fight on the corner of Rees and Beach streets at 3am on Saturday. An Englishman, 26, and another man were scrapping and several others tried to break it up. 

Senior constable Chris Blackford says: “The officers who attended say quite a few fists were flying around and there were some bloody noses.” 

The Englishman got a warning. 

Another Englishman, 22, was charged with assault after a disagreement in a night club about pool rules . Police attended at 2.45am on Sunday. He will appear in court in September. 

Nothing to see here 

Queenstown police enjoyed a relatively quiet weekend with few arrests. 

Incidents included a Kiwi, 35, copping a pre-charge warning after taking a bush out of an ornamental planter outside Eichardt’s Hotel and throwing it across Marine Parade. 

“He quickly became green-fingered and replanted it when approached by officers,” Blackford says. 

Police were called to Frankton in the early hours of Tuesday. 

“Officers were called to reports of a car with its boot open. So they closed it,” Blackford says.