Dixon booted out of Queenstown court


Infamous Queenstowner Jonathan Dixon was back in court yesterday – this time as a witness for a case involving a pair of jeans, stolen headphones and a banana.

Dixon was banished from the Queenstown District Court room for speaking out of turn after he’d given evidence against Luke Anthony Wilson, a 28-year-old local man accused of theft.

Wilson was discharged without conviction after Judge Kevin Phillips ruled there was insufficient evidence to prove that he stole Dixon’s $357 headphones.

Dixon, formerly a bouncer, told the court he’s now a “search engine optimisation specialist – a Google guy”.

On June 29 last year, Dixon had finished his workout at Queenstown Gym and was returning to his car at the Man Street car park when he accidentally left a pair of Levis jeans and his wireless bluetooth headphones on top of the ticket payment machine.

“I think I might have left a banana as well – but I don’t really care about the banana,” he told the court.

It wasn’t till 24 hours later when he realised his property was missing, so he returned to the site.

Only the jeans remained – they were left in a crumpled heap on the ground beside the adjacent Coke vending machine.

Dixon contacted car park manager David Wallace, who agreed to review CCTV footage to try to track down the headphones thief.

Dixon claimed to recognise Wilson as soon as he saw him on the tape.

“Queenstown’s a small place. I usually recognise people by how they walk, their height, their face, their build, how they dress,” Dixon told prosecuting sergeant Ian Collin.

Wallace, also a witness, spent “three to four hours” viewing 24 hours of footage at about four-times the normal speed. He stopped it whenever he saw movement and re-played it at the same speed.

He only kept the footage of Wilson – believed to have been the last person to handle the headphones – and deleted the rest of the tape, including footage of other people looking at the property after Wilson.

Wallace admitted under cross-examination to Wilson’s lawyer Mike Newell that it was possible he may have missed something while reviewing the footage.

Footage of Wilson picking up the crumpled pile, examining it and then putting it down was replayed in yesterday’s defended hearing. While he told cops he saw headphones with the jeans, there was no visible evidence of him walking away with them in his hands.

Dixon, sitting in the public gallery, called out “That’s him” when Wilson appeared on the screen. Judge Phillips demanded Dixon leave the court immediately. He later ordered that if Dixon was to speak to media he would be held in contempt.

Judge Phillips found that there was not enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Wilson was guilty of theft and dismissed the charge.

Dixon himself faces two pending court hearings after being charged with theft of CCTV footage capturing England captain Mike Tindall cavorting in a bar with a woman during the Rugby World Cup and a separate violent assault against Queenstown man Jordan Sinke.