Developer denies breach


A Queenstown property developer has denied breaching lockdown restrictions by travelling from Auckland to Christchurch last month.

Representing himself in Queenstown’s court last Monday, Min Yang, 41, who’s widely known in the resort as ‘Homy’, pleaded not guilty to a charge of intentionally failing to comply with an order made under the Covid-19 Public Health Response Act by leaving an Alert Level 4 area and travelling to an Alert Level 2 area without just cause or authority.

The charge, dated September 2 in Christchurch, carries a maximum penalty of six months’ imprisonment or a $4000 fine.

Yang, who’s behind the controversial Jade Lake apartment development in Fernhill, was asked by prosecuting sergeant Ian Collin why his occupation was given as ‘‘bus driver’’ on his charge sheet.

Yang said he never told police he was a bus driver, and that he was a construction company manager.

Judge Russell Walker remanded him on bail for a case review hearing on December 6.

Street fighter to leave NZ

An early morning street fight in Queenstown, in which one man was king-hit and knocked
unconscious, has spelled the end of a dream to stay in New Zealand for Jaydee Delaney.

The 25-year-old Englishman was sentenced to 120 hours’ community work in Queenstown’s court last Tuesday, having earlier admitted assaulting an unknown male, and assaulting Konstantin Lessig with intent to injure him on July 8.

Walker says Delaney was outside the Church Street Night’n Day at 2.45am and described as heavily intoxicated after a night on the turps with workmates.

He approached a man he didn’t know, the pair exchanged words and Delaney delivered a
king-hit to the victim’s head, rendering him unconscious for several minutes.

Another unknown male eventually lifted the staggering victim to his feet, while witnesses intervened.

Walker says words were then exchanged between Delaney and Lessig, also unknown to him, before Delaney punched his second victim twice to the head.

The pair started fighting, exchanging blows and wrestling on the footpath.

Lessig was later taken to Lakes District Hospital for treatment and Delaney was arrested by police — he offered no explanation to them, telling the cops it was up to them to work out what had happened.

He showed no remorse and no concern for his victims, Walker said.

But Delaney’s lawyer, Megan McCrostie, said he was ‘‘incredibly remorseful’’ and ‘‘incredibly disappointed in himself’’.

He’d since resigned from his job, anticipating he’ll be deported — that affects his partner,
who’s on a partnership visa with him.

McCrostie said Delaney was willing to participate in restorative justice, but just before the
conference was to have happened, Lessig advised he couldn’t make it.

Walker also ordered Delaney, who may relocate to Christchurch to get his community work done faster, make a $250 emotional harm reparation payment to Lessig.

Birthday gone bad

An Arthurs Point labourer who took to day-drinking to celebrate his 20th birthday in June got a belated birthday gift in the form of two convictions last week.

Cayben Rapata-Brookland earlier admitted assaulting Joseph Mousinho and constable James Maloney in Queenstown on June 26.

In Queenstown’s court last Monday, Walker said Rapata-Brookland, who turned 20 two
days earlier, was in a bar in Shotover St at 1.40pm when he got into an altercation with Mousinho, during which he punched him once to the side of the face, causing swelling and redness to the victim’s jaw.

The victim left the bar, but Rapata-Brookland stayed.

At 6.15pm, he was located by cops in another bar, on Rees St.

He emptied a glass of booze over Maloney’s face and raised his fists at him after the cop
attempted to physically restrain him, having already verbally placed him under arrest.

Rapata-Brookland told cops he couldn’t recall the earlier incident due to his level of intoxication.

He has 11 prior convictions, four of them relating to assaults or fighting.

Walker said Rapata-Brookland believed drinking helped with his social anxiety in group settings, however his behaviour when he was drinking ‘‘makes everyone else anxious’’.

‘‘People of Queenstown … deserve to go out without being impacted by your behaviour
after you’ve been drinking.’’

He was sentenced to four months’ community detention, and ordered to pay $250 emotional harm reparation.