Dead man’s identity revealed


Police have released the identity of the Queenstown man who was killed after an alleged “altercation” on Camp St last night.

He was Mark James Smith, 47.

Otago rural area commander inspector Mike Cook told a press conference this afternoon that Smith worked for a local electrical company. He was married with two children, aged 11 and 19.

A post mortem on Smith’s body is being undertaken in Invercargill to determine cause of death.

A 34-year-old Queenstown man is being held in custody in Invercargill till November 27 on one charge of assault while police continue their homicide investigation.

Further charges may follow.

Either one or both of the men were drinking at Morrison’s Irish Pub before the 11.30pm incident happened outside a taxi stand, Cook says.

“We are still undertaking enquiries. We’re still in the process of putting all the information together to form a clear picture.

“Liquor was obviously involved but [as for] the level of intoxication, we’d just be speculating at the moment.

“The people involved in this incident aren’t your stereotypical young mid-twenties – these are mid-thirties, forty-year-olds. I guess it shows that alcohol runs right the way across our communities,” he says.

A section of Camp St reopened at 4pm today – about nine businesses were forced shut by the police cordon.


Queenstown man in custody over death

A 34-year-old Queenstown man has been remanded in custody after allegedly punching a man who died in the resort last night.

The man, who has interim name suppression, didn’t apply for bail when he appeared in front of Justices of the Peace Jane Hughes and Vicki Buckham at Queenstown District Court today.

He’s currently charged with assaulting a person unknown to him by punching him.

Queenstown sergeant Keith Newell told the court the man has no previous convictions. Standing with his head down in the dock throughout his appearance, the man didn’t enter a plea.

He’s due to appear in Invercargill District Court on November 27.

An unidentified middle-aged Caucasian man died after an alleged altercation near a taxi stand on Camp Street at 11.30pm on Thursday.

He was found lying unconscious in the street and despite attempts by police, members of the public and ambulance staff, the man couldn’t be resuscitated and died at the scene.

Police have launched a homicide investigation and a portion of Camp St is closed off as inquiries continue.

Did you witness the assault or do you have any information about it? Call our newsroom 442 7000.