Council calls for $27 million sewage upgrade contractors

SHARE

Queenstown Lakes District Council is on the hunt for contractors to deliver a much-needed wastewater treatment upgrade.

Council has put out a request for interested parties last week to come forward for Project Shotover’s $27 million first stage.

Candidates will be asked to complete a detailed Request for Proposal (RFP) and council general manager infrastructure Erik Barnes says this pre-qualification will make the process much more manageable.

Project Shotover is intended to significantly improve the quality of wastewater treatment in the Wakatipu and will eventually end the disposal of treated wastewater into the Shotover and Kawarau Rivers.

Stage one of Project Shotover involves the construction of a treatment plant for purifying and removing solids at the site of treatment ponds adjacent to the Shotover Bridge.

“Pre-qualification will allow us to identify the top three to four contractors with the best ability to design, construct and operate the new Shotover Treatment Plant,” Barnes says.

Mr Barnes says the tendering process will require a significant amount of work for the tenderer so with pre-qualification, council was ensuring any contractor moving to the RFP stage had a realistic chance of success.

“Previous approaches to the industry have indicated there are some excellent options for a staged solution for the construction.

“The pre-qualification process is very important in ensuring we engage a high quality contractor to deliver Stage One of this project.

“Project Shotover offers huge benefits to the community and the environment and we’re looking for the best people to help us deliver it.”

The pre-qualification process closes on Friday 19 July, 2013.