Four drug busts after search warrants issued
Queenstown police have collared a number of people for drug offences after executing search warrants at various local addresses.
Two men aged 21 and 22 were arrested on Tuesday morning at two separate places and a quantity of drugs found.
A 29-year-old Frankton man was also charged with cultivating cannabis and having cannabis
instruments after police swooped on his house last Friday.
And a 39-year-old Queenstowner was done for cultivating cannabis and possessing cannabis after a raid at another address in the resort on October 14.
“The occupant wasn’t at home at the time but a whole load of stolen tools were recovered,” local constable Daniel Andrew says.
“He was spoken to later in the week and at this stage has been arrested in relation to the discovery of drugs.
“The search warrants certainly helped us tidy up a few things. We were busy.”
The busts are not related to last month’s big Operation Wing drug swoop.
A 43-year-old Wanaka man was done for dangerous driving, failing to stop and obstruction after a crazy incident in Queenstown at 2.15pm last Thursday.
“He allegedly drove up Suburb Street at excessive speed and overtook several other cars on Frankton Road before spinning out and hitting another vehicle at the Millennium Hotel,” Andrew says.
“He fled the scene but was followed into town by another driver who then alerted police.”
Two arrested for chef attack
A 29-year-old man whose picture appeared in Crime Stoppers two weeks ago has been charged with assault after a violent attack on a chef outside Prime restaurant in Rees Street.
The victim was taken to Lakes District Hospital and needed stitches after the unprovoked incident on September 19.
The alleged offender, who lives in Queenstown, was nabbed at 8pm last Thursday.
“He didn’t turn himself in as we’d hoped so we had to go to his address,” Andrew says.
“One of his flatmates, a 30-year-old male, was also charged with possessing cannabis and a cannabis pipe.”
The next day a second man, 28, was also picked up and charged jointly with the assault on the restaurant worker.
“It’s good we finally caught up with these guys as it was a nasty one,” Andrew says.
A 27-year-old Japanese man had a lucky escape after he got lost while walking the Moonlight Track last Thursday.
He was eventually located by worried friends during the night after police had also launched a search.
“The guy had gone for a six-hour walk with only a bottle of water on him,” Andrew says.
“He was a fortunate man to be found and rescued in the dark.”