Queenstown bar opens its doors after fire

SHARE

Queenstown’s Monty’s bar is back in business after closing early on Sunday night due to a serious chimney fire.

About 20 firefighters from four engines attended the fire, which caused smoke to billow from the roof.

Monty’s barman Craig Underwood says the first sign of the fire was ash spitting out of the fireplace, which had only been in action against over the past week.

“The pub filled with smoke very fast,” he says.

Incident commander Dave Christie adds: “There was a fire inside the flue of the chimney and it was getting into the roof space where [the upstairs] flat was.

“We started taking roofing iron off the top by the chimney to see if had spread further in there. We were using a TIC camera that can sense heat.”

A fire safety officer was on the scene today to investigate the cause of the fire.