Beefed-up security for Macca’s

SHARE

A Queenstown fast-food restaurant will increase its use of security guards this winter after a review.

Camp Street McDonald’s was plagued by late-night trouble last ski season with a litany of violent incidents.

Its own duty manager Rishi Kumar was sentenced to seven months’ home detention for kicking a boozed customer – who kept entering a no-go zone – in the head and police were repeatedly called to fights between customers in the early hours.

“The McDonald’s Queenstown restaurant reviewed its security measures and now has security guards present Thursday to Saturday nights; an increase on the previous security support of Friday and Saturday nights,” a spokesman for the chain’s head office confirms.

“During especially busy and social periods, for example Queenstown WinterFest, security guards are present during additional weekdays also.”

The head office was also aware of an incident last week in which the manager of its Frankton restaurant was allegedly punched in the face by a drunken customer.

“The safety of our staff and customers is paramount to McDonald’s and, in addition to notifying police, we have reviewed CCTV footage. We believe this instance of anti-social behaviour to be the first of its kind at this particular restaurant.”

Poms or bombs

A Napier man was given a stern talking to by police after allegedly reporting 15 ‘bombs’ in a Queenstown toilet.

Officers were called to Athol Street toilets at 4.30am on Tuesday after the 31-year-old man phoned 111.

“He was arrested on Beach Street shortly afterwards for possession of an offensive weapon, a large stick allegedly,” Blackford says.

“When questioned about the 15 bombs, he explained he had said there were 15 ‘Poms’ after him. He was grossly intoxicated and with the possibility for confusion, slurring his words, he was just spoken to.”

The man was however charged with possession of an offensive weapon and is due to appear in court on July 1

Warnings for pedestrians

Police are warning Queenstown pedestrians to take responsibility for their own safety after one was hit by a car.

The 24-year-old woman suffered grazes when struck while crossing at the corner of Melbourne and Sydney Sts at 8.38pm on Monday. The woman was kept in hospital overnight for observation.

“The victim was wearing dark clothing and had headphones on, using the phone,” senior constable Chris Blackford says.

“She did not see or hear the car and the driver did not see her.

“People have got to take responsibility for their own safety. We’ve had a fatality at a Queenstown intersection before where the victim was on the phone, so it’s not like tragedy doesn’t occur in these incidents.”

It is not known whether the driver will face charges. Enquiries are continuing.

Erratic driving reported

A taxi driver reported a motorist was allegedly driving erratically on Gorge Road at 9.50pm on Sunday.

“The vehicle was seen to stop and start on the road and drive in the middle of the road,” Blackford says.
Blackford says police spoke to a 23-year-old Chinese person who lives at Arthurs Point.

“The explanation was that the person thought it would be safe driving in the middle of the road because it was dark and raining.”

Blackford says the driver wasn’t able to present a driving licence to police.

“Police removed the keys to the vehicle,” Blackford adds.