BBQ bottle leak sparks evacuation

SHARE

A Queenstown building has been evacuated and firefighters called to investigate a gas leak – caused by a forgotten barbeque gas bottle. 

Three fire engines converged on The Junction building on the corner of Robins and Gorge Road after a gas leak was detected this morning. 

Customers and staff were evacuated from the gourmet Mediterranean Market about 11am for an hour and a half, along with other stores in the building while the source was investigated by firemen and Gasco staff. 

It turns out a barbeque gas bottle left on the middle floor of the building was the cause of concern. 

“Simply all it was, there was a barbeque gas bottle at the back of the room, which must have been there for months in one of the common areas of the building. And that’s what the gas smell was,” Tristan Franklin, managing director of the Control 4 store, says. 

Franklin isn’t sure who owns the gas bottle, but thinks it must’ve been bumped when boxes were being moved, he says.