Arrowtown rugby drops the ball


Who saw it coming? In a boilover yesterday, the Arrowtown Premiers, unbeaten after eight games this season, lost at home 8-5 to sixth-placed Upper Clutha. The game was also Arrowtown’s 13th defence of the White Horse Cup, which they took off Alexandra on April 18 last year. Upper Clutha hadn’t won the Cup since 1994 and haven’t had its name engraved on it, by holding it at the end of a season, since 1972.

Arrowtown’s points came via a try to winger Daniel Eyles in the first five minutes. Upper Clutha replied about 15 minutes later to fullback Shaun Macaskill, who also scored the winning penalty about halfway through the second half. 
Arrowtown coach Blair Wilce willingly concedes the better team won, with his players repeatedly dropping the ball. Arrowtown’s cause also wasn’t helped by injuries – lock Guy Legg broke his nose at the first kickoff and number eight Ben Chisholm, who’d been due to suit up for Central Otago in the Topp Cup game tomorrow, badly injured an eye in the first quarter. 

Maniototo, who’d shared the Central Otago competition lead with Arrowtown before yesterday – albeit with a game in hand – are now firmly on top after convincingly beating third-placed Wakatipu 31-20, at the Queenstown Recreation Ground. 

Maniototo led 28-3 at halftime after scoring four tries. Their first-five, former Highlander Charlie Hore, controlled the game at will. Wakatipu did lift in the second half, scoring three tries down the right flank, two to replacement winger Steven Dent. 

Expect a fierce contest between Wakatipu and Arrowtown in Queenstown this coming Saturday – in their first round they drew 8-all in Arrowtown. 

The Queenstown Rovers side team were convincingly beaten 3-0 by Footballsouth Premier League co-leader Dunedin Technical at the Events Centre yesterday. The local team were missing five players but coach Jamie Whitmarsh says he’s not using that as an excuse. 
“We gave away too many cheap goals,” he says. 

Ice hockey
The Queenstown-based Southern Stampede ice hockey team started their 2010 season with an encouraging 7-4 away win against Dunedin Thunder last night. 
After conceding an early goal, they replied with four goals on the trot in just over 10 minutes to effectively secure the game. 
Braden Lee scored three goals, Daniel Smith two, and Connor Harrison and Canadian import Joe Bjorkman one each. Lee and fellow Ice Black Brett Speirs along with two Thunder players were red-carded after an all-in brawl seven minutes from the end. The two teams square off again late today. 

Premier Grade: GR Concrete beat Harcourts 37-32 in an incredibly close game until GRC ran away with goals in the final quarter. 
WHS A beat Arrowtown United 40-35, a similar score from when the teams faced off in the first round with the school team winning 39-29. 
Cougar Security got thrashed by Pub on Wharf 76-22 in their first premier game after being promoted from the senior A league. 
Senior A: It was clear wins in the senior A match-ups for the first weekend of round two. WHS B beat WHS Gold 43-21; WHS Yr 10A beat WHS Blue 54-17 and Executive Accommodation beat Glenorchy 45-15.