A prime, empty Queenstown site is being readied for a residential development.
Site push: Queenstown Lakes District Council acting chief executive Stewart Burns
The four-hectare parcel of freehold council land at the top of Man Street known as Lakeview was first offered for development on a leasehold basis in 2005.
Queenstown Lakes District Council had two parties express an interested but the global financial crisis meant no final agreement was executed, council acting chief executive Stewart Burns says.
“The proposal was parked.”
Council considered revised draft objectives for Lakeview in private at its June meeting after renewed interest in the site.
“We will now ask the council to formally adopt those objectives at its August meeting, but we have a short window before then to gauge any public feedback on the concept before we make a fresh call for Expressions of Interest later this month (August),” Burns says.
The draft objectives for Lakeview are:
- A high quality, predominantly residential community, consistent with council strategies
- A development that’s physically and socially integrated into the existing and future built and natural environments.
- A safe public environment (both public streets and parks) that encourages residents to interact socially and take pride in their community.
- A high-quality development ‘positively’ addressing the public environment and delivering high levels of private amenity.
- A natural and built form outcome that enhances Queenstown’s unique “local identity”.
- A development that is high-quality, high-density residential, including community housing, with the option for visitor-serving uses.
- A substantial long-term financial return to the community to be used for other community projects, achieved through council’s on-going ownership of the site.
Any public feedback should be in by this coming Friday and go to email@example.com or be dropped at council offices on Gorge Road.
There are no comments on this article.
Have your say
You will need to register or login before you can post a comment.