The resort’s earthquake-prone buildings and streets will be revealed at the end of the month.
Late last year Queenstown’s council announced at least 45 buildings in the district weren’t up to scratch, and gave building owners six weeks to provide evidence to the contrary.
Council comms advisor Rebecca Pitts tells Mountain Scene three owners have confirmed their buildings have been strengthened to at least 34 per cent of national building standards and these have been removed from the list.
“Alongside this activity, council is required to consult on any priority thoroughfares identified as having potentially earthquake-prone, unreinforced masonry buildings, such as routes to and from emergency service providers,” she says.
A report will be tabled at a council meeting on January 31 requesting approval for a special consultative procedure, which will allow locals to have their say.
A list of any of the remaining potentially earthquake-prone buildings will be included in that report if they are on the identified priority thoroughfares.
“It is important to note that not all of these remaining 43 buildings relate to a potentially identified priority thorough-fare,” Pitts says.
The full list of buildings will also be posted on the council website.
One building in the district already under scrutiny is the Lakes District Museum in Arrowtown.
Scene reported last year the old bank and stables beside the museum, where some of its collection is housed, are earthquake-prone.
A conservation plan and earthquake-strengthening plan have been finished, and work is underway to determine the exact cost of the upgrade to the category 2 heritage building.
Museum boss David Clarke says it will likely cost at least $1.5 million.